Over 5 years ago when we first stepped inside the thick walls of Kilmarnock prison we were amazed by the vastness of this 500 cell facility. The brief was clear; provide robust, cutting edge communications with a personal alarm and internal location for each officer.
Prison guards and the prison staff wanted to feel safe and confident that they can get help quickly if a problem occurs.
This was a challenge right up our street as our home developed location devices could be fitted into the accessory socket of the radio and integrated within the existing infrastructure as one seamless system.
The main feature of the system was for radio users to be tracked anywhere inside the prison and grounds. This ensured that all staff could be located immediately if a problem arises and the personal alarm on the radio was the only button they need to press to raise help.
Recently we have been called for the BIG update. As technology has advanced so have our applications and our clients requirements became more sophisticated.
With the release of Hytera new TETRA radios we have developed our ZigBee microchips that fit right inside the radio providing seamless indoor (ZigBee) and outdoor (GPS) location of radio users.
In the control room, the user location and alarm appears on a map of the establishment allowing a controlled response to the exact location of the incident by a dedicated team defined within a single talkgroup.
- PT580 is a very robust radio much better suited to the harsh life within a shared user environment
- Automatic updates of where users location is possible
- Orange button on the radio raises a personal alarm
- Control room staff can see instantly on a schematic diagram who’s in trouble
- Resources can be deployed directly to the location where it’s needed. Full audit trail is possible showing staff movements along with recording audio
- Can be applied to outdoor locations as well as indoor using GPS
- Controlled response from control can be done discretely to the correct location without alerting inmates through general announcements
- It is a retrofit to existing schemes, TETRA or DMR.
- Radio terminal becomes a powerful single device providing; audio communications, personal alarm, tracker indoor, tracking outdoor, text messaging, paging.
- Software can be added to perform other tasks such as guard duty scheduling, work orders, lone worker functions providing expert systems where decisions can be performed automatically.
SafetyNet Locator has a tracking feature which allows the deployment of staff to be viewed at an instant allowing resource to be planned more effectively. Tracking can be used to improve safety of its radio users by identifying exactly where personnel are operating especially in hazardous or threatening situations. Tracking can be turned off and positions only reported when an alarm is triggered or if a location request is sent from the control room.
All sounds very clever and somewhat complicated but fear not because as far as the users are concerned they just walk around with their radio and our fully automated SafetyNet intelligent system handles all the complexity helping to make Kilmarnock prison a safe and secure place to work in.